What Did We Learn From FanFest?
There were lots of interesting quotes to come out of this weekend’s FanFest. And based on what was said by A’s management, coaches and players, here’s what I think we can surmise…
* Brandon McCarthy will be the A’s opening day starter.
* Bartolo Colon will follow McCarthy in the A’s rotation.
* Dallas Braden will be back in the rotation by the time the A’s will first need a 5th starter on April 17th.
* Brett Anderson won’t be back before August.
* The A’s bullpen situation is as murky as ever.
* The A’s consider the most competitive openings on the offensive roster to be the fifth outfielder and designated hitter spots.
* The backup catcher and utility infielder positions are the only other truly competitive spots on the offensive roster.
* The A’s view Daric Barton, if healthy, as the default choice at first base.
* The A’s are open to giving Manny Ramirez a test drive in the designated hitter spot once he serves his 50-day suspension.
* Three of the following five pitchers will join Travis Banwart and Carlos Hernandez in the Sacramento Rivercats’ starting rotation in April – Graham Godfrey, Tyson Ross, Tom Milone, Brad Peacock, Jarrod Parker.
* Two of the following three players are likely to join Michael Taylor in the heart of the Rivercats’ lineup in April – Chris Carter, Brandon Allen, Kila Ka’aihue.
* If the A’s do get the go-ahead to move to San Jose, they probably wouldn’t be able to have a new stadium ready to go there before 2016.