There were lots of interesting quotes to come out of this weekend’s FanFest. And based on what was said by A’s management, coaches and players, here’s what I think we can surmise…
* Brandon McCarthy will be the A’s opening day starter.
* Bartolo Colon will follow McCarthy in the A’s rotation.
* Dallas Braden will be back in the rotation by the time the A’s will first need a 5th starter on April 17th.
* Brett Anderson won’t be back before August.
* The A’s bullpen situation is as murky as ever.
* The A’s consider the most competitive openings on the offensive roster to be the fifth outfielder and designated hitter spots.
* The backup catcher and utility infielder positions are the only other truly competitive spots on the offensive roster.
* The A’s view Daric Barton, if healthy, as the default choice at first base.
* The A’s are open to giving Manny Ramirez a test drive in the designated hitter spot once he serves his 50-day suspension.
* Three of the following five pitchers will join Travis Banwart and Carlos Hernandez in the Sacramento Rivercats’ starting rotation in April – Graham Godfrey, Tyson Ross, Tom Milone, Brad Peacock, Jarrod Parker.
* Two of the following three players are likely to join Michael Taylor in the heart of the Rivercats’ lineup in April – Chris Carter, Brandon Allen, Kila Ka’aihue.
* If the A’s do get the go-ahead to move to San Jose, they probably wouldn’t be able to have a new stadium ready to go there before 2016.